iMotiv

Saturday 13 July 2013

Baileys Irish Cream Tiramisu (without raw eggs) - Cooking 101

After having Tiramisu at Poulèt, I was inspired to make my own.
Initially I randomly googled for Tiramisu and I found one with really good rating and reviews. I bought most of the ingredients and then realised that I'm not too comfortable with the idea of raw eggs. So I found another recipe that does not use eggs. The ingredients also requires alcohol like Kahlau, Rum or Tia Maria which I don't have at home and it's quite a waste to buy the whole bottle just for a few table spoons of it. I made do and used Baileys that were available in small bottles.

It was really easy to make! I even went to Ikea to buy a few nice glass bottles like how they do it outside.

All the ingredients used 

Recipe from noobcook:

Ingredients for the cheese layer

- 250g Mascarpone Cheese
- 1tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Kahlau (I used Baileys instead of Kahlau)
- 2 tbsp thickened cream (I used Millac Dairy Whipping Cream with 38% fat dairy cream)
- Cocoa powder
*in the end, I used double the amount for all of the above because i realised that halfway through, I ran out of cheese. I also used half the amount of lady's finger*

Ingredients for Lady's Finger with coffee dip
- 4 tbsp espresso coffee (I randomly bought canned coffee from 7-11 that is not espresso)
- 2 tbsp Kahlau (I used Baileys)
- 200g lady's finger (Savoiardi)
*as for the coffee + Bailey's mixture, you can prepare more when you run out in the process and I only used 100g of lady's finger*

Method
1. Mix mascarpone cheese, pure vanilla extract, caster sugar and Kahlau into a mixing bowl and mix well. 
2. After step 1 has been thoroughly mixed, add the thickened cream and fold the cream into the mixture until a consistent creamy texture. 
3. Prepare the coffee dip by pouring the coffee and Kahlau onto a plate (mix well) and dip the lady's finger into the coffee dip. (do not soak the lady's finger into the dip for too long as it will become too soggy)
4. Put a layer of soaked lady's finger into the container that you are using.
5. Spread a layer of cream mixture prepared in step 2.
6. Repeat steps 4-5. 
7. Dust a layer of cocoa powder using a fine sieve.
8. Leave to chill in the fridge for a few hours. (I left it overnight)


Step 2
End product

Bottles from Ikea

The amount that I made with 500g of mascarpone and 100g of lady's finger

Taste wise I must say it's pretty good! (For my mum to say it's not bad must mean that it's really pretty good :P)The lady's fingers are alittle too soggy because I soaked them in the coffee dip for too long. Will remember to work on that next time round. Haha so proud of myself! The next time I make this, i'll try it with the other alcohols to see how different the taste will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment