iMotiv

Monday 7 July 2014

Crab Bee Hoon

Have been trying out new recipes recently and I made Crab Bee Hoon yesterday!
Think I am very bored with the food that I have been eating on a daily basis.
Googled online for this recipe and it was really easy to cook!
 
Personally, I always go for the simplest recipes. This recipe is from Rasa Malaysia.
 
Ingredients:
6 oz Guilin rice noodles (dry)
4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
6 slices peeled ginger
1 cup canned chicken broth
2 cups water
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 lb crab, cleaned and cut into pieces
5 baby bok choy, cut lengthwise into halves
1 tablespoon rice wine
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce or to taste (or salt to taste)
3 dashes white pepper
1 stalk scallion, cut into 1-inch lengths

Method:
Boil the dry Guilin rice noodles per the package instructions until al dente. Rinse the noodles with cold running water to remove the starch of the noodles (the noodles should be smooth and clean of starch after rinsing). Drain the noodles dry and set aside.
In a pot, add the butter and saute the ginger. Add the chicken broth and water and bring it to boil. Add the evaporated milk and follow by the crab. Cook for a few minutes until the crab turns red and cooked. Add the baby bok choy, rice wine, fish sauce, white pepper, scallion, and the noodles. Bring it to a quick boil and serve immediately.

Cook’s Note:
Add 2 more tablespoons of evaporated milk if you like your crab bee hoon creamier.
 
I got the crabs from NTUC and Cheewee had the honor of prepping the crabs. It was his first time and I must say that he did a pretty good job. He watched a youtube video before he started. It was not easy to kill a crab. Chopsticks were sacrificed in the process. While he was dealing with the crabs, I got started with the soup base and noodles.
 
I followed the recipe quite closely only excluding the bok choy and scallion. I also doubled the amount for the soup as my family loves soup. The soup will be perfect with more ginger, fish sauce and rice wine! I'm pretty amazed at how simple this recipe is and it tastes wonderful. Cheewee and my mum love it :D Feeling happy!
 
The soup looks very yellow due to the butter on the surface. Not sure if it's because there's too much butter. I also wonder if the soup will still taste as good with reduced butter. It's good but looking at the ingredients, it's super unhealthy :X
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment